- Mayor Torres, J.M. ¥*, Clarkson, T.¥*,^ Hauschild, K.M.*, Luhmann, C.C., Lerner, M.D., Riccardi, G. (in press). Facial emotions are accurately encoded in the brains of those with autism: A deep learning approach. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging.
- Keifer, C.M.,* Day, T.C.,* Hauschild, K.M.,* & Lerner, M.D. (in press). Social and Non-social
Reward Anticipation in Typical Development and Autism Spectrum Disorders: Current Status & Future Directions. Current Psychiatry Reports.
- Corbett, B.A., Schwartzman, J.M., Libsack, E.J.,* Muscatello, R.A., Lerner, M.D., Simmons, G.L., White, S.W. (in press). Camouflaging in autism: examining sex-based and compensatory models in social cognition and communication. Autism Research.
- Simmons, G.L., Ioannou, S., Smith, J.V., Corbett, B.A., Lerner, M.D., & White, S.W. (in press).
Utility of an observational social skill assessment as a measure of social cognition in Autism. Autism Research.
- Amaral, D.G. and de Vries, P.J., et al. (2020), COVID‐19 and Autism Research: Perspectives from Around the Globe. Autism Research, 13: 844-869. doi:10.1002/aur.2329
- Hauschild, K.M.,* Felsman, P.,* Keifer, C.M.,* & Lerner, M.D. (in press). Evidence of an own-age bias in facial emotion recognition for individuals with and without autism spectrum disorder. Frontiers in Psychiatry.
- Kang, E.,* Lerner, M.D., Gadow, K.D. (in press). Atypical communication characteristics
among clinic-referred youth with and without autism spectrum disorder: stability and Associations with Clinical Correlates. Development & Psychopathology.
- Granieri, J.E.,* McNair, M.L.,* Gerber, A.H.,* Reifler, R.,* Lerner, M.D. (in press). Atypical social communication is associated with positive initial impressions among peers with autism spectrum disorder. Autism.
- Kang, E.,* Gioia, A.,* Pugliese, C. E., Islam, N. Y.,* Martinez-Pedraza, F., Girard, R. M., McLeod, B.D., Carter, A. S., & Lerner, M. D. (in press). Alliance-outcome associations in a community-based social skills intervention for youth with autism spectrum disorder. Behavior Therapy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2020.04.006
- Keifer, C.M.,* Mikami, A.Y., Morris, J.P., Libsack, E.J.,* & Lerner, M.D. (in press). Prediction of social behavior in autism spectrum disorders: explicit versus implicit social cognition. Autism.
- Kang, E.,¥* Santore, L.A.,¥* Rankin, J.A.,* & Lerner, M.D. ^ (2020). Self-reported social
skills importance ratings, not social skills themselves, predict sociometric status in youth with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2020.101552
- Black, M., Mahdi, S., Milbourn, B., Scott, M., Gerber, A.H.,* Esposito, C.M.,* Falkmer, M., Lerner, M.D., Halladay, A., Strom, E., D’Angelo, A., Falkmer, Bolte, S., Girdler, S. (in press). Multi-informant international perspectives on the facilitators and barriers to employment for autistic adults. Autism Research. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2288
- Santore, L. A.,* Gerber, A.,* Gioia, A.,* Bianchi, R.,* Talledo, F.,* Peris, T. S., & Lerner, M. D. (in press). Felt but not seen: Observed restricted repetitive behaviors are associated with self-report – but not parent-report – OCD symptoms in youth with ASD. Autism. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361320909177
- Rodriguez-Seijas, C.,* Gadow, K. D., Rosen, T.E.,* Kim, H.,* Lerner, M.D., Eaton, N. R. (2020). A transdiagnostic model of psychiatric symptom co-occurrence and autism spectrum disorder. Autism Research, 13(4), 579–590. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2228
- Clarkson, T.*, Kang, E.,* Capriola-Hall, N., Lerner, M.D., Jarcho, J., Prinstein, M.J (in press). A meta-analysis of the RDoC social processing domain across units of analysis. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology.
- Gerber, A.H.,* Girard, J.M., Scott, S.B., & Lerner, M.D. (2019). Alexithymia – not Autism – is associated with frequency of social interactions in adults. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2019.103477
- Keifer, C.M.,* Hauschild, K.M.,* Hajcak, G., Nelson, B.D., & Lerner, M. D. (in press). Differences in the late positive potential and P300 to emotional faces in individuals with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 49(12), 5009–5022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-019-04207-6
- Goldstein, T.R. Lerner, M.D., Paterson, S., Jaggi, L.,* Toub, T.S., Hirsh-Pasek, K., Golinkoff, R.M. (2019). Stakeholder Perceptions of the Effects of a Public School-Based Theatre Program for Children with ASD. Journal of Learning Through the Arts, 15(1). https://doi.org/10.21 977/D915136948
- Black, M., Mahdi, S., Milbourn, B., Thompson, C., D’Angelo, A., Strom, E., Falkmer, M., Falkmer, T., Lerner, M.D., Halladay, A., Gerber, A.H.,* Esposito, C.M.,* Girdler, S., Bolte, S. (2019). Perspectives of key stakeholders on employment of autistic adults across the USA, Australia and Sweden. Autism Research, 12(11), 1648–1662. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2167
- Kang, E., ¥* Clarkson, T., ¥* Keifer, C.M.,* Rosen, T.E.,* Lerner, M.D. ^ (2019). Discrete electrocortical predictors of anxiety and anxiety-related treatment response in youth with autism spectrum disorder. Biological Psychology, 146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bio psycho.2019.05.010
- Kim, H., ¥* Greene, A., ¥* Eaton, N.R., Lerner, M.D., & Gadow, K.D. (2019). Is There a General Factor of the Autism Symptom Phenotype? Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 58(10), 1021–1025. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2019.04.024
- Russo-Ponsaran, N.M., Lerner, M.D., McKown, C., Weber, R.J.,* Karls, A., Kang, E.,* Sommer, S.L.* (2019). Web-based assessment of social cognition in school-age youth with autism spectrum disorder. Autism Research, 12(8), 1260–1271. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.2123
- Kerns, CM, Berkowitz, SJ, Moskowitz, L, Drahota, A, Lerner, MD, UCAS Consortium, Newschaffer, CJ. (in press) Screening and treatment of trauma-related symptoms in youth with autism spectrum disorder amongst community providers. Autism, 24(2), 515–525. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361319847908
- De Los Reyes, A., Lerner, M.D., Keeley, L.M., Weber, R., Drabick, D.A.G., Rabinowitz, J.,
Goodman, K.L. (2019). Improving interpretability of subjective assessments about psychological phenomena: a review and cross-cultural meta-analysis. Review of General Psychology, 23(3), 293–319. https://doi.org/10.1177/1089268019837645
- Marro, B.M.,¥* Kang, E.,¥* Hauschild, K.M.,* Normansell, K.M.,* Abu-Ramadan, T.M.,* Lerner, M.D. (2019). Social performance-based interventions promote gains in social knowledge in the absence of explicit training for youth with autism spectrum disorder. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, 83(3), 301–325. https://doi.org/10.1521/bumc.2019.83.3.301
- Mikami, A.Y., Miller, M., Lerner, M.D. (2019). Social functioning in youth with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and autism spectrum disorder: transdiagnostic commonalities and differences. Clinical Psychology Review, 68, 54–70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2018.12.005
- Kang, E,* Gadow, K.D., & Lerner, M.D. (2020). Atypical communication characteristics, differential diagnosis, and the autism spectrum disorder clinical phenotype in youth. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 49(2), 251–263. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2018.1539912
- Rosen, T.E.,* Spaulding, C.J.,* Gates, J.A.,* Gadow, K.D., & Lerner, M.D. (2019).
Autism severity, co-occurring psychopathology, and intellectual functioning predict supportive school services for youth with ASD. Autism, 23(7), 1805–1816. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 1362361318809690
- Keifer, C.M.,* Dichter, G.A., McPartland, J.C., Lerner, M.D. (2019). Social motivation in
autism: gaps and directions for measurement of a putative core construct [Commentary on Jaswal & Akhtar]. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 42, e95. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0140525X18002418
- Kim, H.,* Keifer, C.M.,* Rodriguez‐Seijas, C.,* Eaton, N.R., Lerner, M.D., & Gadow, K.D. (2019). Quantifying the optimal structure of the autism phenotype: a comprehensive comparison of dimensional, categorical, and hybrid models. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 58(9), 876–886. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2018.09.431
- Scott, M., Milbourn, B., Falkmer, M., Bӧlte, S., Halladay, A., Lerner. M.D., Lounds-Taylor, J., Girdler, S. (2019). Factors impacting employment for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A scoping review. Autism, 23(4), 869–901.
- De Los Reyes, A., Makol, B.A., Racz, S.J., Youngstrom, E.A., Lerner, M.D., Keely, L.M. (2019). The Work and Social Adjustment Scale for Youth: a measure for assessing youth psychosocial impairment regardless of mental health status. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 28, 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-018-1238-6
- Gates, J.A.,* Kang, E.,* Lerner, M.D. (2017). Efficacy of group social skills interventions for youth with autism spectrum disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 52, 164–181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2017.01.006
- Mendelson, J.L.*, Gates, J.A.,* & Lerner, M.D. (2016). Friendship in school-age boys with autism spectrum disorders: a meta-analytic summary and developmental, process-based model. Psychological Bulletin, 142(6), 601–622. https://doi.org/10.1037/bul0000041
- Kang, E.,* McPartland, J.C., Keifer, C.M.,* Foss-Feig, J.H., Levy, E.J.,* & Lerner, M.D. (2019). What must a neural signal mark to be called a biomarker?: reply to Vettori, Jacques, Boets, and Rossion (2018). Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 4(3), 324–325. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpsc.2018.09.004
- Kang, E.,* Keifer, C.M.,* Levy, E.J.,* Foss-Feig, J.H., McPartland, J.C., & Lerner, M.D. (2018). Atypicality of the N170 event-related potential in autism spectrum disorder: a meta-analysis. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 3(8), 657–666. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpsc.2017.11.003
- Rosen, T.E.,* Mazefsky, C.A., Vasa, R.A., & Lerner, M.D. (2018). Co-occurring psychiatric
conditions in autism spectrum disorder. International Review of Psychiatry, 30(1), 40-61. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540261.2018.1450229
- Libsack, E.,* Clarkson, T.,* & Lerner, M.D. (2018). Unique perspectives: harnessing multimodal
assessment to understand how children with autism decode the social world. Behavioral Health News, 6(1), 35. https://www.bbrfoundation.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/bhn-summer2018_0.pdf
- Rosen, T.E.,* & Lerner, M.D. (2018). Error-related brain activity and anxiety symptoms in youth with autism spectrum disorder. Autism Research, 11(2), 342–354.
- Black, S.R.,* Lerner, M.D., Shirtcliff, E.A., & Klein, D.N. (2018). Patterns of neuroendocrine
coupling in 9-Year-Old children: effects of sex, body-mass index, and life stress. Biological Psychology, 132, 252–259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsycho.2017.11.004
- Goldstein, T.R., Lerner, M.D. (2018). Dramatic pretend play games uniquely improve emotional control in young children. Developmental Science, 21(4), e12603.
- Kerns, C.M., Moskowitz, L., Rosen, T.*, Drahota, A., Wainer, A., Josephson, A.,* Soorya, L., Cohn, E., Chacko, A., & Lerner, M.D. (2019). A multi-site, multidisciplinary Delphi consensus study describing "usual care" intervention practices for school- to transition-age youth with autism. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 48(sup1), S247–S268. https://doi.org/10.1080/15374416.2017.1410826
- Mayor Torres, J.M., Clarkson, T., Stepanov, E.A., Luhmann, C.C., Lerner, M.D., Riccardi, G. (2018). Enhanced Error Decoding from Error-Related Potentials Using Convolutional Neural Networks. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2018 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE. Honolulu, HI, July 18–21. https://doi.org/10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512183
- Lerner, M.D., ¥ Mazefsky, C.A., ¥ Weber, R.J.,* Transue, E., Siegel, M.S., Gadow, K.D., and the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Inpatient Research Collaborative (2018). Verbal ability and psychiatric symptoms in clinically-referred inpatient and outpatient youth with ASD. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 48(11), 3689–3701. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-017-3344-5
- Tudor, M.E.,* Rankin, J.A.,* Lerner, M.D. (2018). A Model of Family and Child Functioning in Siblings of Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders. 48(4), 1210–1227. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-017-3352-5
- Lerner, M.D., De Los Reyes, A., Drabick, D.A.G., Gerber, A.H.,* Gadow, K.D. (2017). Informant discrepancy defines discrete, clinically-useful autism spectrum disorder subgroups. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 58(7), 829–839.
- Fjermestad, K.W., Lerner, M.D., McLeod, B.D., Wergeland, G.H., Haugland, B.S.M., Havik, O.E., Öst, L.E., Silverman, W.K. (2018). Motivation and treatment credibility predict alliance in cognitive behavioral treatment for youth with anxiety disorders in community clinics. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 74(6), 793–805. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.22551
- Keenan, E.G.,* Gotham, K., Lerner, M.D. (2018). Hooked on a feeling: repetitive cognition and internalizing symptomatology in relation to autism spectrum symptomatology. Autism, 22(7), 814–824. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361317709603
- Kim, H.,* Keifer, C.M.,* Rodrguez-Seijas, C.,* Eaton, N.R., Lerner, M.D., Gadow, K.D. (2018). Structural hierarchy of autism spectrum disorder symptoms: an integrative framework. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 59(1), 30–38. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.12698
- Wainer, A., Drahota, A., Cohn, E., Kerns, C., Lerner, M. D., Marro, B.,* Moskowitz, L., Soorya, L (2017). Understanding the landscape of psychosocial intervention practices for social, emotional, and behavioral challenges in youth with ASD: A study protocol. Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 10(3), 178–197. https://doi.org/10.1080/19315864.2017.1284289
- Lerner, M.D., Mazefsky, C.A., White, S.W., McPartland, J.C. (2018). Autism spectrum disorder. In J. Butcher, J. Hooley, P.C. Kendall (Eds.), American Psychological Association Handbook of Psychopathology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Books. https://doi.org/10.1037/0000065-000
- Lerner, M.D., Rosen, T.E.,* Kang, E.,* Keifer, C.M.,* Gerber, A.* (2019). Autism spectrum disorder. In Ollendick, T.H., White, S.W., & White, B.A. (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology (pp. 223 - 234). Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780190634841.013.15
- Lerner, M.D., Girard, R.M. (2018). Appreciating and promoting social creativity in youth with
Asperger’s Syndrome. In Kaufman, S.B. (Ed.), Supporting and Educating Twice-Exceptional Children (pp. 203 - 214). New York: Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oso/9780190645472.001.0001
- Goldstein, T.R., Lerner, M.D., Winner, E. (2017). The arts as a venue for developmental science: realizing a latent opportunity. Child Development, 10(3), 178–197.
- Fjermestad, K.W., Lerner, M.D., McLeod, B.D., Wergeland, G.H., Heiervang, E.R., Silverman, W.K.,Öst, L.E., De Los Reyes, A., Havik, O.E., Haugland, B.S.M. (2016). Therapist-youth agreement on alliance change predicts outcome in CBT for youth anxiety disorders. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 57(5), 625–632. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.12485
- Kang, E.,* Klein, E.F.,* Lillard, A.S. & Lerner, M.D. (2016). Predictors and moderators of spontaneous pretend play in children with and without autism spectrum disorder. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 1577. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2016.01577
- Rosen, T.E.*, Lerner, M.D. (2016). Externalizing and internalizing symptoms moderate longitudinal patterns of facial emotion recognition in autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 46(8), 2621–2634. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-016-2800-y
- De Los Reyes, A., Aldao, A., Qasmieh, N., Dunn, E.J., Lipton, M.F., Hartman, C., Dougherty, L.R., Youngstrom, E.A., Lerner, M.D. (2017). Graphical representations of adolescents' psychophysiological reactivity to social stressor tasks: reliability and validity of the chernoff face approach and person-centered profiles for clinical use. Psychological Assessment, 29(4), 422–434. https://doi.org/10.1037/pas0000354
- Spaulding, C.J.,* Lerner, M.D., Gadow, K.D. (2017). Trajectories and correlates of special
education supports for youth with autism spectrum disorder and psychiatric comparisons. Autism, 21(4), 423–435. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361316645428
- Meyer, A.* Lerner, M.D., De Los Reyes, A. Laird, R., Hajcak, G. (2017). Considering ERP difference scores as individual difference measures: issues with subtraction and alternative approaches. Psychophysiology, 54(1), 114–122. https://doi.org/10.1111/psyp.12664
- Garman, H.D.,* Spaulding, C.,* Webb, S.J., Mikami, A.Y., Morris, J.P., Lerner, M.D. (2016). Wanting it too much: an inverse relation between social motivation and facial emotion recognition in autism spectrum disorder. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 47(6), 890–902. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10578-015-0620-5
- Hauser, M.J., Kohn, R., Lerner, M.D., Stein, M., Lory, B., Bursztajn, H.J. (2017). Intellectual disabilities, autism, and aging: medical-legal issues. In Holzer, J.C. (Eds). Geriatric Forensic Psychiatry: Principles and Practice. Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/med/9780199374656.003.0031
- Moskowitz, L. J., Rosen, T.,* Lerner, M. D., & Levine, K. (2017). Assessment of anxiety in youth with autism spectrum disorder. In C. Kerns, E. Storch, P. Kendall, J. J. Wood, & P. Renno (Eds.), Evidence Based Assessment and Treatment of Anxiety in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder. (pp. 79–104). Elsevier.https://www.elsevier.com/books/anxiety-in-children-and-adolescents-with-autism-spectrum-disorder/kerns/978-0-12-805122-1
- Rankin, J.A.,* Weber, R.J.,* Kang, E.,* Lerner, M.D. (2016). Parent- and self-reported social skills importance in autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 46(1), 273–286. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-015-2574-7
- Gabriel, J.,* Angevin, E.,* Rosen, T.,* Lerner, M.D. (2016). Use of theatrical techniques and elements as interventions for autism spectrum disorders. In Sofia, G. (Ed.), Theater and Cognitive Neuroscience. Bloomsbury Academic. https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/theatre-and-cognitive-neuroscience-9781472584809/
- Lerner, M.D., Potthoff, L.M.,* Hunter, S.J. (2015). Optimizing cross-sectional prediction of social functioning in youth referred for neuropsychological testing. PLoS one, 10(5), e0128303. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0128303
- Lerner, M.D., & Lillard, A.S. (2015). From false belief to friendship: commentary on Fink, Begeer, Peterson, Slaughter, & de Rosnay. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 33(1),18–20. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjdp.12070
- Tudor, M.E,* Lerner, M.D. (2015). Intervention and support for siblings of youth with developmental disabilities: a systematic review. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, 18, 1–23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10567-014-0175-1
- White, S.W.¥, Lerner, M.D.¥, McLeod, B.D., Wood, J.J., Ginsburg, G., Kerns, C., Ollendick, T., Kendall, P.C., Piacentini, J., Walkup, J., Compton, S. (2015). Anxiety in children with and without Autism Spectrum Disorders: Examination of factorial equivalence. Behavior Therapy, 46(1), 40–53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2014.05.005
- Lerner, M.D., White, S.W. (2015). Moderators and mediators of treatment for youth with autism spectrum disorders. In M. Maric, P.J.M. Prins, & T.H. Ollendick (Eds), Moderators and Mediators of Youth Treatment Outcomes (p. 146). https://doi.org/10.1093/med:psych/9780199360345.003.0007
- Tudor, M.E.*, Walsh, C.E., Mulder, E.C., & Lerner, M.D. (2015). Pain as a predictor of sleep problems in a sample of youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Autism, 19(3), 292–300. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361313518994
- Webb, S.J., Bernier, R., Henderson, H.A., Johnson, M.H., Jones, E.J.H., Lerner, M.D., McPartland, J.C., Nelson, C.A., Rojas, C., Townsend, J., & Westerfield, M. (2015). Guidelines and best practices for electrophysiological data collection, analysis and reporting in autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 45(2), 425–443. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-013-1916-6
- Mendelson, J.L.,* & Lerner, M.D. (2014). Friendship among school aged boys with ASD, Autism Spectrum News, 7(2), 17, 27, 33: https://www.autismspectrumnews.org/wp- content/uploads/2018/05/ASN-Fall2014.pdf
- Riskind, R.G., Palmquist, C.M., Kondrad, R.L., Lerner, M.D. (2014, September 2). How to survive your first year on the tenure track: Year 1 as an assistant professor is every bit as rough as you’ve heard. The Chronicle of Higher Education. https://www.chronicle.com/article/how-to-survive-your-first-year/148515cid=at&utm_medium=en&utm_source=at
- Guli, L. A., Semrud-Clikeman, M., Lerner, M. D., & Britton, N. (2013). Social Competence Intervention Program (SCIP): A pilot study of a creative drama program for youth with social difficulties. The Arts in Psychotherapy, 40(1), 37–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aip.2012.09.002
- McMahon, C.M., Lerner, M.D., Britton, N. (2013). Group-based social skills interventions for adolescents with higher-functioning autism spectrum disorders: a review and looking to the future. Adolescent Health, Medicine and Therapeutics, 4, 23–38.
- White, S. W., Kreiser, N. L., & Lerner, M. D. (2014). Autism spectrum disorders. In C. A. Alfano & D. Beidel (Eds.), Comprehensive Evidence-Based Interventions for School-Aged Children and Adolescents (pp. 213 - 230). New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Comprehensive+Evidence+Based+Interventions+for+Children+and+Adolescents-p-9781118487563
- De Los Reyes, A., Lerner, M.D., Goepel, K.A., Daruwala, S.E., Thomas, S.A. (2013). Discrepancies between parent and adolescent beliefs about daily life topics and performance on an emotion recognition task. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 41(6), 971–982. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-013-9733-0
- Lerner, M.D., Mikami, A.Y. (2013). Correct effect size estimates for strength of association statistics: Comment on Odgaard & Fowler (2010). Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 40(1), 37–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aip.2012.09.002
- Guli, L.A., Semrud-Clikeman, M., Lerner, M.D., Britton, N. (2013). Use of creative drama as intervention for children with social competence deficits. The Arts in Psychotherapy, 40, 37 - 44. DOI: 10.1016/j.aip.2012.09.002.
- Lillard, A.S., Hopkins, E.J., Dore, R.A., Palmquist, C.M., Lerner, M.D., Smith, E.D. (2013). Concepts and theories, methods and reasons: Why do the children (pretend) play? Reply to to Weisberg, Hirsh-Pasek, and Golinkoff (2013); Bergen (2013); and Walker and Gopnik (2013). Psychological Bulletin, 139(1), 49–52. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0030521
- Lerner, M.D., Morris, J.P., McPartland, J.C. (2012). Processing of emotional faces and voices in Autism Spectrum Disorders: ERP Correlates and Interaction with Social Knowledge. Psychophysiology, Special Issue: Society for Psychophysiological Research,
Abstracts for the Fifty‐Second Annual Meeting, The Roosevelt New Orleans Hotel, New
Orleans, Louisiana, September 19–23, 2012, 49, S6.
- Lerner, M.D., McLeod, B.D., Mikami, A.Y. (2013). An observational measure of group cohesion for parent- and youth-focused psychotherapy. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 69(3), 191–208. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcdlp.21933
- Lerner, M.D., McPartland, J.C., Morris, J.P. (2013). Mutlimodal emotion processing in autism spectrum disorders: an event-related potential study. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 3, 11–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dcn.2012.08.005
- Lillard, A.S., Lerner, M.D., Hopkins, E.J., Dore, R.A., Smith, E.D., & Palmquist, C.M. (2013). The impact of pretend play on children's development: a review of the evidence. Psychological Bulletin, 139(1), 1–34. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029321
- Mikami, A.Y., Griggs, M.S., Lerner, M.D., Emeh, C.C., Reuland, M.M., Jack, A., Anthony, M.R. (2013). A randomized trial of a classroom intervention to increase peers’ social inclusion of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 81(1), 100–112. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029654
- Linkenauger, S., Lerner, M.D., Ramenzoni, V., Proffitt, D. (2012). A perceptual-motor deficit predicts social and communicative impairments in individuals with autism spectrum disorders. Autism Research, 5(5), 352–362. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.1248
- Lerner, M.D., White, S.W., McPartland, J.C. (2012). Mechanisms of change in psychosocial interventions for autism spectrum disorders. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, 14(3), 307 - 318. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3513684/
- Lerner, M.D., Calhoun, C.D., Mikami, A.Y., De Los Reyes, A. (2012). Understanding parent-child social informant discrepancy in youth with high functioning autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 42(12), 2680–2692. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-012-1525-9
- Lerner, M.D., Mikami, A.Y. (2012). A preliminary randomized controlled trial of two social skills interventions for youth with high-functioning autism spectrum disorders. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 27(3), 147–157. https://doi.org/10.1177/1088357612450613
- Lerner, M.D., McMahon, C.M., Britton, N. (2014). Autism Spectrum Disorder in Adolescents: Promoting Social and Emotional Development. In T.P. Gullotta & M. Bloom (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Primary Prevention and Health Promotion: Adolescence (2nd ed., pp. 1023–1033). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-5999-6_192
- Lerner, M.D., Haque, O.S., Northrup, E.C., Lawer, L., Bursztajn H.J. (2012) Emerging perspectives on adolescents and young adults with high functioning autism spectrum disorders, violence, and criminal law. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law,, 40(2), 177–190. Erratum in 40(3), 445. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22635288
- Lerner, M.D. (2011). Editorial. Jefferson Journal of Science and Culture, 1(1), v-vii http://journals.sfu.ca/jjsc/index.php/journal/article/view/1/1
- Lerner, M.D., Mikami, A.Y., McLeod, B.D. (2011). The alliance in a friendship coaching intervention for parents of children with ADHD. Behavior Therapy, 42(3), 449–
- Lerner, M.D., Hutchins, T., Prelock, P. (2011). Brief report: preliminary evaluation of the Theory of Mind Inventory (ToMI) and its relationship to measures of social skills. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 41(4), 512-517. doi: 10.1007/s10803-010-1066-z.
- Mikami, A.Y. Lerner, M.D., Griggs, M.S., McGrath, A., Calhoun, C.D. (2010). Parental influence on children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: II. A pilot intervention training parents as friendship coaches for their children. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 38(6), 737-749. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10802-010-9403-4
- Lerner, M.D., Mikami, A.Y., Levine, K. (2011). Socio-Dramatic Affective-Relational Intervention for Adolescents with Asperger Syndrome: Pilot Study. Autism, 15(1), 21 - 42. Translated & reprinted in Autismo, 10, 151 – 175. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361309353613
- Mikami, A.Y., Lerner, M.D., Lun, J. (2010) Social Context Influences on Children’s Rejection by Their Peers. Child Development Perspectives. 4(2), 123 - 130. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-8606.2010.00130.x
- Mikami, A.Y., Jack, A., Lerner, M.D.. (2009) Chapter Nine: Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. In J.L. Matson (Ed.), Social Behavior and Skills in Children (pp. 159 - 185). New York: Springer. https://www.springer.com/us/book/9781441902337
- Lerner M.D., Levine K. (2007). The Spotlight Method: An Integrative Approach to Teaching Social Pragmatics Using Dramatic Principles. Journal of Developmental Processes, 2(2), 91- 102. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/downloaddoi=10.1.1.511.8436&rep=rep1&type=pdf
* = Student author. ¥ = Joint first-authorship.
Bold = Reflective of current direction of the lab.